A scrumptuous banana cream pie, that is less than one-third the amount of fat found in more traditional banana cream pies.
- 1 (9-ounce) box dairy free chocolate cookies
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons melted soy margarine (or smooth peanut butter)
- 2 3/4 cups non-dairy milk, divided
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large bananas
- 1/4 cup fruit-sweetened peach jam
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In food processor, process cookies and brown sugar until finely ground. Add melted butter and 1/4 cups of milk and process until and completely moistened.
- Oil a 9-inch non-stick or glass pie plate. Using wet fingers, press crumb mixture evenly into bottom and up sides of pie plate. Bake 10 minutes. If crust rises during baking, use the back of a spoon to push the crust back into shape. Cool on a wire rack.
- In medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg and salt. Whisk remaining 2 1/2 cups of milk into sugar mixture until well combined. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer, whisking constantly, for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Thinly slice bananas. Fold all but 1 cup of bananas into cooled pudding. Spoon filling into cool pie shell, smoothing the top. Arrange remaining 1 cup banana slices in a decorative pattern on top of pie.
- In small saucepan, melt jam over medium heat. Brush melted jam over banana slices. Refrigerate until serving time.
Per serving (7.25 oz-wt.): 340 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 6g protein, 62g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 45g sugar), 10mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium