Use textured soy protein to make this Vegan...
- 3 1/2 oz (100g) young bamboo shoots, fresh or canned
- 1/2 oz (15g) rock sugar (or substitute)
- 2 1/4 lb. (1 kg ) lean boneless Beef
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. ginger, sliced
- 2 tbsp. salted fermented Soybean
- 2 tsp. scallions, chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 10 whole Szechuan peppercorns
- 3 1/2 tbsp rice wine
- 1 star anise
- Soak the bamboo shoots in cold water and cut into small pieces.
- Blanch quickly in boiling water, drain, and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
- Cut the Beef into 1 inch (3 cm ) chunks and place in a pot with cold water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and skim off the foam.
- Then add the ginger, scallion, peppercorns, and star anise.
- Bring back to a boil and add the Sugar.
- Stir until it dissolves. Turn the heat to low and simmer.
- While the Beef is cooking heat the oil until the surface ripples.
- Add the Soybean paste and stir-fry until it turns slightly red.
- Add to the Beef. When the Beef has cooked for about one hour, add the salt, rice wine and the bamboo shoots.
- Stew the Beef another hour until it is very tender, and serve.
Contributed by Edit
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.