A traditional English cake that can also be baked as a loaf
- 1 cup/375g/13oz Self Raising Flour
- 1 1/2 cups/300g/11oz Brown Sugar
- ¼ teasp Salt
- 1 cup/240ml/8fl.oz. Water
- 4 Tbsp/60ml/2fl.oz. Vegetable Oil
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 2 teasp Vanilla Extract (or Almond)
- 100g/4oz Glace Cherries, halved
- Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients plus the glace cherries.
- Make a well in the centre then add the remaining "wet" ingredients. Mix well then beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a 20cm/8 inch cake tin and bake for 30 - 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.