- 2 1/2 quart soybeans, cooked and drained
- 10 oz fresh whole Wheat bread crumbs (1-1/4 qt)
- 2 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped 13 oz
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced 1 oz
- 1 1/4 cups carrots, grated 7 oz
- 1 1/4 cups soy protein isolates 5 oz
- 2/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 5 eggs, beaten
- soybean oil as needed
- 24 lemon wedges
- Coarsely mash cooked soybeans until lumpy.
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
- Form 1/3-cup portions into patties.
- Cook on a lightly oiled griddle over medium heat until thoroughly heated and browned on both sides.
- Serve 2 cakes per serving with a lemon wedge.
- To cook soybeans
- Add 1 pound dry soybeans to 1-1/2 to 2 quarts boiling water; boil 5 minutes. #Cover pot, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain; add 1-1/2 quarts water. Do not add salt at this point or it will delay the softening of the Beans.
- Bring Beans and water to boil; reduce heat and simmer, with lid tilted on pot, about 3 hours or until Beans are tender. Yield: 1 to 1-1/2 quarts cooked Beans.
Recipe from United Soybean Board