Adapted from the recipe in the book:
'Chocolate and Cocoa Recipes By Miss Parloa and Home Made Candy Recipes By Mrs. Janet McKenzie Hill, 'Compliments of Walter Baker & Co., Ltd. Established 1780
- 2 cups brown suga
- 1/3 cup of glucose, (pure corn syrup),
- 2/3 cup of water
1 cup of molasses
2 tablespoonfuls of non dairy margarine
- 1/4 teaspoonful of salt,
- 4 ounces Premium dark chocolate,
- 1 tablespoonful of vanilla extract or 1 teaspoonful of essence of peppermint.
- Put all the ingredients, save the salt, chocolate and flavoring, over the fire; let boil rapidly to 260 °F., or until brittle when tested in cold water.
- During the last of the cooking the candy must be stirred constantly.
- Pour onto an oiled platter or marble; pour the chocolate, melted over hot water, above the candy; as the candy cools on the edges, with a spatula or the fingers, turn the edges towards the center; continue this until the candy is cold enough to pull; pull over a hook until cold; add the flavoring, a little at a time, during the pulling, cut in short lengths and wrap in waxed paper.