Prep Time: Cook time: Serves: 4
- 5 oz dark organic chocolate
- 8oz extra firm silken tofu
- 3 Tbs brown sugar
- 3 egg whites
- Melt chocolate and sugar together in a double boiler stirring constantly.
- Puree in blender chocolate, sugar and tofu. You have to stop once in awhile to scrape the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula. Transfer chocolate mixture to a bowl scraping blender well to get it all.
- Beat egg whites to a semi stiff peak in a separate bowl. With a rubber spatula, fold egg whites into chocolate, tofu puree 1/3 amount at a time. Be careful not to over mix. Refrigerate for about 8 hours for best flavor and texture.
Your egg whites will peak best if you beat them when they are at room temperature. Adding just a very small pinch of salt will also help them to come to a peak. When they are perfect and ready to fold into the chocolate mixture they will peak when you press a spoon into them and lift it back out. They will have a somewhat smooth texture and be firm. If you over beat them they will start to look grainy. It is important to be very gentle when folding in the whites. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites at a time just until it is incorporated. If you stir too much your mousse will become dense, more like a pudding. By folding gently you retain the air in the egg whites keeping your mousse nice and fluffy. Give it plenty of time to set up, at least 6-8 hours. Refer to our animation on folding for more help if you need it.