Cider cake has always been one of my faves ever since my Dad made it for me when I was little and as I've grown up he has stopped making it for me and I learnt to make it. I have managed to adapt the original recipe to make it both dairy and egg free and thought I would share it with you all.
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon/nutmeg/all-spice ( more can be added depending on taste)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups cider
- Mix all the dry ingredients in 1 bowl and all the other ingredients in another bowl.
- Add the dry mix into the wet mix gradually, i normally do mine in 3 stages to make sure it all gets whisked up well
- I normally make mine in quite a large tray so i end up with a thin cake that cooks quickly-I'm so impatient! Obviously depending on the depth and size of the cake vary the times but I cook on 190 for about 20mins, until risen and golden in colour.
If you'd like to make a glaze (but it's seriously not necessary),
Whisk together 1/2 cup of confectioners' sugar, 2 teaspoons non-dairy yogurt, 3 teaspoons of apple cider, and a dash of cinnamon.