Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yields: Two 2 inch high 9 inch diameter cakes
A very light cake with a fine texture.
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups castor sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp oil or butter (optional)
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp flavouring (vanilla or other as desired)
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven 400F (200C)
- Grease and line bottom of two 9 inch deep cake pans with paper.
- Heat water & oil to simmer.
- Beat eggs & sugar till very light and creamy (best to use an electric mixer)
- Add salt & vanilla, and mix in.
- Sift flour & add to eggs beat to incorporate..
- Sprinkle baking powder on top of mix, pour hot water over and fold in
- Pour into cake pans and bake on middle shelf of oven for 25 minutes. (Until a skewer coimes out clean)
Do not open oven in first 20 minutes of baking
To make a chocolate sponge, replace 4 Tbsp of flour with cocoa powder.