This is an ice cream base that can be flavoured to your choice
See the listing of flavour ideas below
Ice Cream Base:
- 1 teaspoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 4 large free-range egg yolks
- 300 ml (10 fl oz) 1 1/4 cups soya milk
- 100g (4oz) castor sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 240 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup of soya cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix the cornflour (cornstarch)and sugar with the egg yolks and a little of the milk until you have a smooth paste.
- Continue adding the milk and then pour the liquid into a saucepan to cook.
- Add the vanilla pod and then stir continuously until the custard is very thick and hot - but do not boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and take out the pod (wash it under warm water, then dry it so that you can re-use it).
- Add the soy cream and blend briefly. mix in the vanilla extract and leave to cool.
- Follow the instructions on your ice-cream maker and pour in the custard.
- Churn until frozen and then serve, or freeze in a scalable container.
- Enjoy as vanilla flavour or stir in your added flavour of your choice.
- Banana - (55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup of banana pieces)
- Caramel - (add 25 g (1 oz) 1/4 cup of crushed caramelised sugar pieces to the soy milk to dissolve before proceeding with the recipe)
- Caramelised Fig- (Saute chooped figs, then add sugar and cook till sugar caramelises)
- Chocolate chip - (add 55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips)
- Cookie Dough - (add 55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup of your favourite egg less cookie dough and some cholate chunks)
- Cherry - (add 55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup of dried cherries soak in bordeux)
- Grapenut - (add 55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup of Grapenut cereal)
- Lemon Pie - (add lemon flavouring and 55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup of pieces of shortbread cookies)
- Malted Chocolate - (Melt barley malt and dark chocolate)
- Maple walnut (add 55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup walnut peices and maple flavour or syrup to taste)
- Mint Chip (add mint flavouring and 55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup cholate flakes)
- Pistachio (add 55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup roasted crushed salted pistachios)
- Rum & Raisin (Soak 55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup raisins in rum, then add)
- Strawberry (add 55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup fresh or fozen strwberries)
- Toasted Almond (add 55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup fine chopped roasted salted almonds)
- Toasted Coconut (add 55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup toasted dessiccated coconut)