- 1 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, or a light, natural oil like sunflower
- 1 cup granulated beet Sugar (I haven't tried this with unrefined brown sugar, but I imagine it would be fine)
- Equivalent of 2 eggs in egg replacer
- 2/3 cup unflavoured or vanilla flavoured soy milk or nut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup extra granulated beet Sugar that has been powdered in your coffee grinder (to get an icing sugar consistency, for the glaze)
- Lightly oil a loaf pan. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
Mix together the dry ingredients (except the Sugar). Finely grate the lemon peel (just the yellow part...the white part is bitter!) and stir into the flour mixture.
Beat the margarine or oil and Sugar together in a separate, large bowl, until it looks quite creamy. Add the egg replacer and alternate adding 1/2 of the flour mixture with 1/2 of milk mixture at a time, beating well between additions. Add the vanilla and mix well. Pour into the loaf pan and bake 50–60 minutes until it tests done (slip a toothpick into the centre and if it comes out clean, it's finished baking). Let cool on the counter for ten minutes, then drizzle with the glaze. Let cool another ten minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack. Serve at room temperature.