Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
A traditional Yorkshire recipe for a Bonfire Night treat. This yummy ginger cake recipe will get you fired up
- 1/2 level tsp (2.5 ml) Bicarbonate of soda (Baking soda)
- 1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml soy milk
- 8 oz (225 g) treacle (molasses)
- 8 oz (225 g) golden syrup (substitute light corn syrup)
- 1 stick (8 Tbsp)4 oz (100 g) dairy free margarine
- 4 1/2 cups (450 g) 1 lb plain flour (All purpose)
- 350 g (12 oz) medium oatmeal
- 1 level tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup (50 g) 2 oz brown sugar
- 2 level tsp (10 ml) ground ginger
- 1 egg, beaten
- Butter a 23 cm (9 inch) square cake tin.
- Dissolve the soda in the soy milk. Melt the treacle, syrup and butter together.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together, pour in the melted butter mixture, stir well, add the egg and milk; stir well. Turn into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the oven at 180c (350°F) mark 4 for 45 minutes. Turn out of the tin when cold. Store in an airtight container for at least one week before eating.