- 55 g (2 oz) scant 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 55 g (2 oz) 1/2 cup chopped blanched almonds (or other nuts of your choice)
For Ice Cream:
- 1 teaspoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 4 large free-range egg yolks
- 40g (1 1/2 oz) caster sugar
- 300 ml (10 fl oz) 1 1/4 cups soya milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 240 ml (8 fl oz) 1 cup of soya cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the praline first by quickly melting the sugar with the almonds in a saucepan until they turn dark golden brown.
- Leave the mixture to cool. When the praline is cold put it into a plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin until it resembles breadcrumbs (alternatively grind to a powder in a food processor).
- Now make the ice-cream by quickly mixing the cornflour (cornstarch) with the egg yolks and a little of the milk until you have a smooth paste.
- Continue adding the milk and then pour the liquid into a saucepan to cook.
- Add the vanilla pod and then stir continuously until the custard is very thick and hot - but do not boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and take out the pod (wash it under warm water, then dry it so that you can re-use it).
- Now add the cream and blend briefly. mix in the vanilla extract and the praline and leave to cool.
- Follow the instructions on your ice-cream maker and pour in the custard.
- Churn until frozen and then serve, or freeze in a scalable container.