Yields: 7 cups
This excellent soy cheese recipe will enable you to make your own delicious homemade vegetarian cheese. Everyone seems to enjoy it.
- 3 (15 ounce) packages firm or extra firm tofu
- 2.25 fluid ounces soy milk powder
- 1⅓ tablespoons of oil
- sea salt to taste (about ½ teaspoon)
- 3.4 fluid ounces tamari
- 2.8 fluid ounces cider vinegar
- 2.8 fluid ounces tahini (ground sesame seeds)
- 2.8 fluid ounces honey
You will need a large pot, medium bowl, large bowl, masher, and a covered container.
- Remove tofu from packages and drain.
- Cut the blocks into thirds. Boil them in water for ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk all the other ingredients together in a bowl until smooth and all lumps have disappeared.
- After the tofu has cooked, drain it well for ten minutes (using a colander, clean cloth, or paper towels). Then put it in a large bowl.
- Mash the tofu until it has an even texture that is close to the texture of cottage cheese. Be careful not to leave lumps too large or to mash too finely.
- Add the other ingredient mixture to the tofu. Stir well. Refrigerate (at least) seven hours until thoroughly chilled.