Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan.
- 1 package active dry yeast (2¼ tsp)
- 1 cup warm water (110°F)
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup soy milk, warmed
- egg replacer equivalent to 2 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¼ tsp mace
- oil for frying
- Dissolve the yeast in ½ cup of warm water and let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, bring the remaining water to a boil.
- Add the shortening and sugar and stir until the shortening has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it cool (very important!!!).
- When it is cooled, add the yeast and warm soy milk.
- Stir in the egg replacer and 2 cups of flour.
- Beat well.
- Add 2 more cups of flour and the salt and mace.
- Mix well.
- Add the flour slowly.
- Only add enough to make a soft and manageable dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let it rise until doubled in bulk.
- (about an hour).
- Punch the dough down.
- On a lightly floured surface roll it out to ½ inch thickness.
- Cut out doughnuts with a 2 inch cutter.
- Place the doughnuts on waxed paper or a greased baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Make holes in 'em with your finger if you feel the need.
- Let them rise for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil to 370 degrees in a skillet or deep fryer.
- Fry 3 doughnuts at a time, until gloden on eahc side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Prepare the glaze or roll in sugar to coat.
- To make the glaze, mix the ingredients until smooth in a shallow bowl.
- While the doughnuts are hot, coat all sides in the glaze.