- Serves 6.
- grated zest of 1 medium lemon
- ¾ cup dark raisins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- ½ cup soymilk
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 tbs. light sesame or safflower oil
- 1 large egg
- Toss the lemon zest and raisins together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix the flour and spices together in a large bowl.
- Set aside.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until just blended.
- Stir the raisin mixture into the batter.
- Mix only until the raisins are distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch-square baking pan and bake in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve.